Re: enlarged negs from transparencies

Tom Ferguson (tomf2468@pipeline.com)
Mon, 13 Apr 1998 16:38:31 -0800

Mon, 13 Apr 1998 Wayde Allen <allen@boulder.nist.gov> wrote:

<BIG SNIP> I've spent a couple evenings playing with the Freestyle Lith
>film, and although it appears to work, I can see that there are problems.
>BIG SNIP<
>So far, what I've found seems to be more expensive by a significant
>margin. For example, the Freestyle site lists Agfa Gevatone N31P at $136
>for 50 8x10 inch sheets and the same quantity of Aristatone Copy film for
>$100.
>
>In comparison they sell the same quantity of Ortho Litho film for $24
>
>That makes the continuous tone film four to five times the cost of the
>Lith film. Not to mention the availability of the Lith film in sizes up
>to 20x24 inches.
>
>Perhaps it would simply be easier and less expensive to use "normal"
>panchromatic films? Availability in sizes larger than 8x10 might be
>problamatic though. Not sure about that. Still trying to figure out what
>is really available.
>
>Any suggestions?

The availability of panchromatic continuous tone film in very large sizes
seems to actually be getting better! I use the "Pan Portrait" film from
Photo Warehouse. 50 sheets of 8x10 cost $73.20US. This is widely believed
to be FP-4. Available up to 20x24, they can be reached at 800-922-5484.

I "understand" that Darkroom Innovations is also distributing this film.
They can be reached at 602-488-8012.

If you only intend to make 12x20 or smaller enlargements, then any Pro
Ilford dealer can get you FP-4 or HP-5 in 4x5, 5x7, 8x10, 11x14, or 12x20.
Samy's sells this mail order (800-321-4726).

Other potential films can be obtained from Lotus, the ultra large view
camera people. They are now importing an eastern European film in large
sizes. It is available up to 14x17 inches. They can be reached at
815-282-9876. Chicago Albumen Works sells Agfa P330p Panchromatic
Separation Film which is available is sizes up to 20x24 (see Doug Munson's
recent post to the group). They can be reached at 413-274-6901. Lastly,
Berrger has a variety of films up to 20x24. They can be reached at
http://www.bergger.fr. I haven't used any of the films in this last
paragraph.

Good luck
tomf2468@pipeline.com (Tom Ferguson)