Re: Epson coated paper negatives

Valburg (lkv1@psu.edu)
Sat, 25 Apr 1998 22:55:38 -0400

At 09:06 PM 4/25/98 -0400, you wrote:
>And one issue that we haven't really talked about a lot (or at all) is how
>fine a resolution your process can resolve. Remember that we are hand coating
>our emulsion. No matter good we think we can coat, the coating is not done by
>machine or through some chemical process, so there will be unevenness in our
>coating, so it might not be able to resolve the higher resolution. Take for
>example, just 600 dpi, each dot size is 1/600 inch, or about 0.04 mm! To
truly
>be able to print that, your coating must be able to resolve half of that, or
>0.02mm.

Dave,

Don't the "resolution" figures given for an ink-jet printer refer to how
many positions on which it can place a dot in each inch, rather than the
dot size? That is, a printer with resolution rated at 600dpi can place a
dot of its default size in any of 600 positions in each linear inch of
image area. Those dots can and do overlap, and vary in size from one model
to another. I think dot "size" is being specified as a volume measurement,
ranging from 8 picoliters in the (vaporware) Canon Aspen to around 35
picoliters for the black pigment-based inks in many HP printers.

Regards,
Mitch Valburg