Re: Epson coated paper negatives

Luis Nadeau (nadeaul@nbnet.nb.ca)
Sun, 26 Apr 1998 19:51:49 -0300

At 9:06 PM -0400 98/04/25, FotoDave wrote:
><< Since I need a 7X loupe to just barely see the dots (no screen pattern like
>the 800) from the previous Photo Stylus, this is getting interesting. Macs and
>Wintel drivers are available. >>
>
>I have nothing against digital imaging (I am a computer engineer, and it is
>very easy
>for me to generate digital negatives with correct tones), but my opinion is
>that a dot is a dot is a dot. One can use it to quickly generate some
>negatives for some processes but dots cannot provide the relief that a carbon
>print made from continous-tone negative has.

A carbon relief is produced by a significant inscrease in the negative's
contrast, i.e., density. All negatives, digital or otherwise, are made of
dots if you look at them through a loupe/microscope with enough power.

>And one issue that we haven't really talked about a lot (or at all) is how
>fine a resolution your process can resolve. Remember that we are hand coating
>our emulsion. No matter good we think we can coat, the coating is not done by
>machine or through some chemical process, so there will be unevenness in our
>coating, so it might not be able to resolve the higher resolution. Take for
>example, just 600 dpi, each dot size is 1/600 inch, or about 0.04 mm! To truly
>be able to print that, your coating must be able to resolve half of that, or
>0.02mm.

Indeed. With most processes the resolution won't depend on the coating or
the original negative as much as the final support itself. Many extremely
impressive prints have been made with paper negatives, themselves made from
small, grainy negatives. Such is much of the work of José Ortiz Echagüe.

Luis Nadeau
NADEAUL@NBNET.NB.CA
Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada
http://www3.nbnet.nb.ca/nadeaul/