Re: Platinum questions

Keith Schreiber (StillPoint@worldnet.att.net)
Tue, 28 Apr 1998 10:03:38 -0700

Adam Kimball wrote:

>1. Is it necessary to have the clearing bath very close in
>temp to the developer? I'm using a Jobo, so can keep my
>developer very stable around 100 degrees, but there is no
>more room for my clearing baths. Anyone do any testing on
>this? Someone interested in taking a stab at how much +/-
>the clearing bath can be?

I have always used clearing baths at room temp regardless of developer temp,
though I suppose it wouldn't hurt to warm them up. I doubt we need to worry
about reticulation since there is no binder layer.

>2. I'd love to hear about any fairly unknown papers that
>people are having good luck with. I'm using Lenox, Arches
>Platine, the lot of the Cranes- I'd especially like to hear
>about any papers with serious personality that are working
>out.

Try Gampi (the 96gsm variety from Daniel Smith), Fabriano Perusia, or
Twinrocker Watercolor (available in CP and HP in a wide range of sizes with
irregular "feather" deckle edges. Perusia works well with standard
processing but must be coated by brush due to its texture. Gampi and
Twinrocker benefit significantly from a drop of Tween 20 added to the
coating solution. Twinrocker will clear best in hypo clear.

Happy printing,
Keith Schreiber