Re: Colored glass to replace filters in Curtis one shot color camera

Richard Knoppow (dickburk@ix.netcom.com)
Wed, 29 Apr 1998 23:59:13 -0700

At 11:45 PM 4/29/98 -0400, Lildagover wrote:
>I have a Curtis one shot 4X5 color camera in pristine condition. However,
the
>color separation filters are in each film holder, and are gelatine filters
>cemented between glass, which are sandwiched in front of each sheet of film
>and held in place by a pressure plate. The filters have become delaminated,
>and I want to replace them with colored glass, or find someone who can
>recement Wratten gelatine filters between the original glass sheets
comprising
>the filters.
>
>Does anyone know a source for reasonably priced optical glass in the three
>additive primary colors (red, green, blue) or a technician who would
undertake
>the recementing of the filter plates?
>
>Any advice will be appreciated.
>

>Joe Arkins
>43-19 41st St. Apt. A2
>Long Island City, NY 11104

I actually know who Lil Dagover was:-)
It might be possible to do it yourself. The plates are likely cemented
with Canada Balsam which will come apart if the glass is heated gently.
Immersing it in hot (but not boiling) water should get them apart quickly.
The new gelatin can be reglued the same way or a more modern cement may be
used. Since the lifetime of the filters is limited the glass is best
cemented with somthing that can be gotten apart easily.
Summers Optical is a source for optical cement and has a web page at:
http://www.emsdiasum.com/Summers/optical/cements
There is also information on how to use the cements there.
One possibility for a tech to replace the gels is John van Stelten, who
has a good reputation for lens repair. His e-mail is: focalpt@ecentral.com
If you need the glass you may be able to get it from Edmund Scientific,
they are at: http://www.edsci.com/
These cameras were made about two
miles from here, I think there is now a supermarket where the Curtis plant
was.

----
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles,Ca.