Re: Tri-Color KodaCOLOR

Richard Knoppow (dickburk@ix.netcom.com)
Tue, 19 May 1998 12:27:15 -0700

At 12:04 PM 5/19/98 -0600, Bob_Maxey@mtn.3com.com wrote:
>Does anyone remember the Tri-Color Kodacolor (read Color not Chrome)
>Process? I have a Projection Ektar lens with a 3-section glass filter on
>the front of it. Red, Green and Blue. The box indicates it is designed for
>Kodacolor Projection. I have been told it is rare, but I never got around
>to investigating it further. I would be interested to hear from list
>members who know about this amazing projection lens.
>
>RM

I mentioned this process in my earlier post regarding early Technicolor.
It was a lenticular process. The film was embossed with semi-cylinderical
lenses runing across its width. The same or similar sectional filter was
used in front of the taking lens. When it is set up right this results in
lines in each color on the film. The colors are reproduced in their
correct positions when projected through the filter.
Kodak based this on work done by Keller-Dorian. It requires fast lenses
partly so that the filters will work correctly. The system has a serious
fault, objects which are not in the plane of sharp focus will be reproduced
with color fringing. It is also not easily amenable to duplication.
Paramount Pictures did rather extensive experimentation on their version of
Keller-Dorian in the 1930's to find ways of printing it. Optical printing
rather than contact printing was necessary. The advent of three-color
Technicolor killed off most of the other early color processes including
this one, although work on Cinecolor continued until the availability of
Eastman Color eliminated the market for other color processes. Cinecolor
used chemical toning to produce th colors in the release print.
I suspect all this is way off topic here(?)

----
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles,Ca.
dickburk@ix.netcom.com