Re: Platine tears and sorrows

Jeffrey D. Mathias (jeffrey.d.mathias@worldnet.att.net)
Tue, 26 May 1998 14:25:06 -0400

Eric Neilsen wrote:

> ... The BIG black spots, as on the Beinfang print can be
> imperfections in the paper that allow the solution to "puddle" on that
> spot. ...

Eric,Most likely, when the solution is allowed to "puddle" on Bienfang 360, it
will cause a lighter area in the print. I have never noticed an "imperfection" as
such in Bienfang 360. Puddling is a fact of life to deal with on some papers
(especially with strong sizing or smooth surface). After coating, the paper
should be held vertical and periodically rotated so that the solution flows
evenly. Any build up will be seen as a lighter, streaked, or blotchy area in the
print. Drying with a blower should wait until the coating looks matte (looses the
wet gloss) otherwise the blower may also cause puddling resulting in a lighter
area in the print. I have an interesting recent reject in which I dried too
quickly. The dark seats in the photo all now seem to have mold growing on them
(blotchy light areas). Interesting.

I am awaiting the viewing of your print.

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/