Re: ammonium iodate

Sil Horwitz (silh@iag.net)
Tue, 26 May 1998 17:59:45 -0400

At 03:42 PM 98/05/26 -0500, greene earl mcalan wrote:
>I am interested in using ammonium iodate in a 1% solution as a substitute
>for a 5.5% solution of postassium iodide. However, I am concerned about
>the health and possible volativity risks involved. Does any one have any
>experience or advice concerning this chemical? It would used in
>conjunction with silver nitrate, aceto-nitrate of silver, and gallic acid.

You cannot substitute ammonium ioDATE for potassium ioDIDE. Two totally
different families. Ammonium iodide is a possible substitute, but should be
almost equal in percentage needed. A possible problem with ammonium iodide
would occur in a highly alkaline solution, which could possibly break down
the compound into ammonia gas (an irritant) and the iodide salt of whatever
the alkali is. But, regardless, you can't substitute any iodate for an
iodide as far as I can determine.

<<sil>>
<silh@iag.net>
<webmaster@psa-photo.org>