Re: Epson Printer Ink

Art Chakalis (achakali@freenet.columbus.oh.us)
Wed, 20 May 1998 21:43:31 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 20 May 1998, E THEISEN wrote:

> I have been watching with interest the discussion on Higgins ink for the Epson
> 800 printer. Did I miss something on how to fill the ink cartridge? I havent a
> clue on how to do that. Any info out there. Ernie

As a slight aside, I've tested the Higgins Black on an Espon 600 (slower
version of the 800 but the same dpi) and it does work very well.

As to instructions and tools . . . the refill kits typically come with
syringes and blunt needles along with instructions and diagrams. It is
probably worth the cost to purchase a refill kit and then use the Higgins
inks once the kit is consumed. I suggest this as the the syringes and
needles are difficult to come by . . . they are regulated in the U.S. and
I'm not really sure how they are being furnished with the refill kits.

A word of caution . . . there have been a lot of very dissatisfied owners
of the Epson printers due to head clogging problems. New cartridges don't
always seem to work very well and there have been horror stories with some
refills clogging the heads. It was explained to me by a technician that
the purge pump on the latest models wasn't designed with enough suction
(in his opinion) and it can't bleed the air out of the ink lines reliably.
I have personally had to purge the heads on mine with hot water on one
occasion even while using factory cartridges(I removed an empty cartridge
got distracted and didn't put in a new cartridge for 5 days - don't ever
do this!). I personally will not purchase another Epson and am extremely
glad I decided to test the 600 before I bought a 1520. In my case, I am
certain that I use more ink keeping the heads clean than I do in printing.

Computer shows always seem to have an abundance of ink-jet refill vendors.

Sincerly, Art

Art Chakalis
Columbus, Ohio, USA