Cyanotype archival issues

Jim Soe Nyun (jsoenyun@gort.ucsd.edu)
Thu, 04 Jun 1998 13:29:52 -0700 (PDT)

>From jim_soe_nyun@ucsdlibrary.ucsd.edu Wed Jun 3 17:08:29 1998
From: jim_soe_nyun@ucsdlibrary.ucsd.edu
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 98 17:08:02 -0800
To: <jsoenyun@gort.ucsd.edu>
Subject: to forward

Here's a couple of first questions from me for the collective wisdom assembled
here:

I understand from the instructions that came with the cyanotype kit that
cynotypes (along with other processes) are sensitive to alkaline conditions.
I'm currently working with a series that involves sensitizing non-acid-free US
Geological Survey maps with the cyanotype solution and printing on them. Since
it's acidic paper, the maps will yellow and begin to disintigrate over time . My
first impulse was to try to de-acidify the paper with something like the Wei T'o
deacidifier solutions that are used for acidic library materials. But it
occured to me that the solution achieves its aim by buffering the paper with
alkali of some sort--supposedly not too good for the health of the image that
would be printed on them. Have any of you had any experience trying to correct
for the acidity of paper while at the same time trying to preserve the cynotype
(or other alkali-sensitive) image? Would I be better leaving the sensitized
maps alone? Would it be worthwhile trying to preserve the paper substrate?

Question two concerns toning cynotypes. Might there be some information on the
relative stability of a borax-toned image? Or on a bleached and tannic-acid
redevloped image?

Thanks, all!

James Soe Nyun
jsoenyun@ucsd.edu

SHAMELESS PLUG: If any of you will be in the Bay Area by the 13th of this month,
check out my pieces in the "Feed" show at SF Camerwork. I am ashamed to admit
that all my work there is in basic silver, though there is a cynotype quilt in
the show.