Re: paper negs/paper possies

liz randall (randalla@ocean.com.au)
Sat, 06 Jun 1998 07:39:09 +1000 (EST)

>Date: Sat, 06 Jun 1998 07:35:33
>To: Judy Seigel <jseigel@panix.com>
>From: liz randall <randalla@ocean.com.au>
>Subject: Re: paper negs/paper possies
>Cc: alt-photo-process-1@skyway.USASK.CA
>
>At 14:23 4/06/98 -0400, you wrote:
>

>>I would imagine several reasons for paper negatives, tho maybe there are
>>more...
>>
>>sentiment/tradition -- this was a popular style in the '30s, with much
>>pencil "working up" of the original.
>>
>>retouchability -- on fiber paper anyway, you can pencil away to yr heart's
>>content, especially on the back..
>>
>>you can use *variable contrast filters* !!!!!!
>>
>part edited
>

>>plus of course, now "paper negative" includes laser, ink jet, copier, etc.
>>and becomes almost a must..
>>
>>But Liz, what did you have in mind?
>>
>>Judy
>

>Many thanks for all the input, its given me plenty to think about.
>
>In answer to your question Judy, my idea was to try and ensure the rather
hackneyed topic I have chosen for my next semester's folio "Rural Icons of
Australia" looks different. I liked the way the image in Kodak's book
Creative Darkroom Techniques looked like a pencil drawing.

>I printed an item off the net a while ago (I checked today to give you the
address but got a "file not found" error message) which said that you soaked
the two pieces of paper in water before you exposed them although this was
not mentioned in the Kodak book...?

>In the mean time back to this semester's folio, due in 10 days....groan
>
>liz

Liz Randall
Terrain Images
Ocean Internet - "The Quality ISP"