Re: Gum variables

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Thu, 11 Jun 1998 00:27:49 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 10 Jun 1998, Wayde Allen wrote:
> I've been using a 275 W GE sunlamp about 24 inches above the print frame.
> Exposures have been about 15 minutes. Sensitizer is 13% (saturated ?)
> potassium dichromate solution.

Wayde, is that one of those big hot sunlamp bulbs? If it is, watch out --
the heat from the bulb can be a definite variable, that is, somewhat cook
your print. Also, with the sunlamp bulb I began with, even at 30 inches,
exposure was very uneven. Edge falloff was horrendous. I realize tho that
sunlamp bulb state-of-the-art is now of a much higher order,,,, but for
anyone using the old big bulb, be VERY careful. If it's hot, use a fan.

My sunlamp was very slow, BTW -- at 30 inches cyanotype took 30 minutes..

> Judy's Post Factory newsletter was what prompted me to try gum so I'm
> still looking for the "typical" exposure to use.

Now you've got me Wayde -- torn between heartfelt gratitude for the plug
(it is a plug, isn't it?) and "newsletter." Last time I corrected someone
on that, he explained it's a newsletter if it doesn't have ads... ;- )
Whichever,,,,, thanks....

Judy