Re: Fwd: Re: the 21 steps or gum control (long)

Jeffrey D. Mathias (jeffrey.d.mathias@worldnet.att.net)
Sat, 13 Jun 1998 14:50:45 -0400

Judy Seigel wrote:
> ...and making the print is *interactive*, like painting. That is,
> you look at what's happening and decide what to do (or try) next. I think
> that may be one reason platinum printers (among others) can have trouble
> with it. They're accustomed to everything determined in advance, a
> detailed protocol....

Judy,

So true, but that is exactly my intent. I have aimed toward mastering
the print and the negative to render my feeling and interpretation of
what I experienced with the original scene. I am only a student
learning what the space photographed can teach me about its interaction
with a culture I might know nothing about. I purposely follow an
extremely objective path. A path easier to follow utilizing photography
than other imaging making processes.

This strategy is not new. For example, think of the approaches of A.
Adams and E. Weston. A decade ago the Center for Creative Photography
had an interesting display of Adams and Weston work hanging side by
side. This was a great demonstration comparing and contrasting the
objective and subjective approaches.

I would not apply your statement above for ALL PtPd printers as many of
them do not use the objective approach. But for those that tend to, yes
it is true. But that does not mean that the Gum process would be of no
use to an objective approach, even if controlling the process be
challenging. I recall seeing the effects rendered by Laura Gilpin with
Gum over Platinum (several of her prints are at the CCP).

Even I have created some works subjectively and even some far different
than imagined then, when setting up the camera. And, I have re-created
works in the darkroom. However for most of my work, I do try to execute
a print as envisioned prior to setting up the camera. I must also add
that for me to be "interactive" would in most cases interfere with the
message the space is revealing as to its interactions. This does
provide me with a most complex challenge. This also lead to my creation
of folding screens, utilizing the folding action to subjectively,
objectively render the image. (Difficult for me to put into words, but
examine my screens.)

Another challenge attempted from time to time is to create objectively
one of the concepts which a painter friend has utilized subjectively in
his paintings. One which comes to mind is an image which flip-flops
between two realities (or quasi realities). After a discussion as to
how to represent the effect is the painting mostly involving values and
edge effects, I discovered a situation producing this effect and
photographed it. There was some work to do in a negative building
process to achive the print, but this was all anticipated. On
examination of the photograph, my friend told me that I had utilized the
effect exactly as he had done in his painting. Success; and a great
exercise to expand one's ability.

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/