Re: New chrysotypes

John Rudiak (wizard@laplaza.org)
Sun, 14 Jun 1998 16:09:28 -0600

Francesco Curcio wrote:

> John Rudiak wrote:
>
> > The final coating solution contains 0.15M gold. If you put 2ml on an
> > 8X10, it has 0.118 grams of the gold chloride. An ounce of gold
> > chloride (It sure depends on where you buy it and how much of it) from a
> > chemical supply house is about $900. ( I am posting this to the list in
> > case anyone out there has a good source of gold chloride, B&S only
> > lists a 5% soln which is not strong enough) 0.15 divided by 28 times
> > $900 equals $4.92 per 8X10 print, for the gold. While this is certainly
> > not cheap, when compared to what a custom 8X10 cibachrome would cost if
> > you had a decent lab make one for you, it is a bargain. (especially
> > since it won't look like a plastic place mat)
> >
> > John
>
> I remember that Mike Ware announced in his web site a new formulation for
> printing with gold (New Chrysotype), but didn't give details on it
> (I admit I haven't been visiting this site recently, though),
> apparently because he was still calibrating the process (one of his
> Chrysotypes was also reproduced in Ag+ Photographic #7, 1995).
>
> One year ago in the B&S site a page was dedicated to an adaptation
> of Ware's method (ever published?) proposed by John Rudiak,
> employing in the formula the "disodium salt of 3,3'-thiodiproprionic acid
> ([CAS 111-17-1], known in England as 3,3'-thiodipropanoic acid)"
>
> I have never been able to find this salt (or acid) anywhere in chemicals
> suppliers' catalogs, including B&S if I'm right.
>
> Does anybody know if Ware has given further details on his method?
>
> John, are you always suggesting the formulae containing the above,
> exoteric salt?
>
> Francesco Curcio
>
> Milano Italy

What I reported was not an adaptation of Mikes method, it was Mikes
method put into words and numbers which would be understandable to
regular folks. You won't be able to find the disodium salt of
3,3'thiodipropionic acid, you make it in solution by adding sodium
hydroxide to a solution of 3,3'thiodipropionic acid in a ratio of 2
moles to one. You can get the 3,3'thiodipropionic acid from Lancaster
Chemicals, 1-800-238-2324. It is their product number 3264. Last time
I ordered there was a $50 minimum order, so I had to order 1000 grams.
'Reckon I'm set for a while.

Hope this helps you out.

John--
Alchemy Printmaking & Photography