Re: Leonardo

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Thu, 18 Jun 1998 13:45:33 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 18 Jun 1998, Art Chakalis wrote:
> There was a discussion on this about 2 1/2 years ago and I thought it was
> concluded to be someone's idea of a joke.
>
> Leonardo has been given credit for a lot of things but the idea that he
> invented photography is a stretch. However, I understand that someone

Actually, many people take it seriously. Just as busloads will come to
view manifestations of "Mary" in gourds and garages... there's a desperate
longing out there. Mike Ware did a riff on it on the list a few years ago,
and has written an essay on the Shroud of Turin, if not in History of
Photography, in another serious venue this past year. Perhaps someone can
provide the reference. I haven't read it, but feel confident giving odds
sight unseen that Mike did NOT go for it.

Judy