Re: interactivity and process

dkern@juno.com
Thu, 18 Jun 1998 16:16:01 -0500

On Thu, 18 Jun 1998 10:09:55 -0400 "Jeffrey D. Mathias"
<jeffrey.d.mathias@worldnet.att.net> writes:

>When it gets right down to it, this "communication hardly ever
>occurs".
>This might very well be an indicator as to shortcomings of our society
>or culture. Are we overly prejudicial? Are we overly self- righteous
>or almighty? Do we have to manipulate and dictate just how everything
>must be? Do we control what we see? Does what we see control us?
>How much do we care about understanding?
>(People of the list, no answer is expected. It is my hope to have
>answers: no, no, no, no, no, and greatly.)

Why must the miscommunication be ascribed to any "shortcomings of our
society?" Rather, we should make allowances for the ambiguity of language
(visual included). It is not a shortcoming of language that it fails to
describe precisely; instead, that is where it's richness lies--no
ambiguity, no poetry. Granted, this imprecision can be detrimental for
science, politics and even everyday life, but without it, we risk losing
great emotive capabilities.

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]