Re: interactivity and process

Jeffrey D. Mathias (jeffrey.d.mathias@worldnet.att.net)
Mon, 22 Jun 1998 07:51:10 -0400

Esj101@aol.com wrote:

> I do beleive that the photogragh almost always lets us see things that we did
> not see at the time of the shot. That's what makes it so exciting and so
> interesting-both for me and the viewer.

So do I. That is part of what makes photography such a great learning
tool. But, how much does the photographer choose to see and
intentionally photograph? How much does one learn after photographing
and photographing and photographing? Never underrate the benefits of
hard work and discipline. As Edward Weston put it: luck is nothing more
than skill and preparedness.

And, I actually find it more rewarding, interesting, and exciting when I
see things before hand and make a photograph that communicates that
discovery. I can say the same for the unique characteristics of any
process. It is far more important for me to utilize the unique
characteristic of a process than to enjoy that characteristic itself.

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/