Re: Gum Printing/Observations

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Mon, 22 Jun 1998 16:53:49 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 22 Jun 1998, katharine thayer wrote:
> Actually I started with Kwik Print, thinking that after I mastered that
> I would move on to gum, but I just couldn't make Kwik Print work for me
> at all and finally gave up on it. I did have a conversation with the
> manufacturer of the materials who told me I probably had outdated
> materials and that's why it wouldn't work. And then, I guess I did get

I had *fresh* Kwik Print materials and couldn't make them work. The notion
that they're easier than gum is another one of those gum myths... Some
folks have liked them, but I have a hunch they'd never done gum, so had no
basis for comparison. (Maybe the appeal is coming as a kit (?)

> I don't know why else I would have this Grumbacher lamp black, and also
> now that I think of it, the cute little bottles that I pour the gum into

I haven't seen the kit, but if that's the Grumbacher *Academy* watercolor,
it's a student grade paint, & not advised... On the other hand black is
a cheap color in any grade, so that could well be as good as any..

cheers,

Judy