Re: digital input - video

Jack Fulton (jfulton@itsa.ucsf.edu)
Fri, 26 Jun 1998 06:14:27 -0700

<x-html><HTML>
Dear Laura V
<BR>Yes, I do a LOT of video capture and printout.
<BR>Camera is&nbsp; Nikon (actually most are made by Sony anyway … including
the Nikon) and the trick is to use the highest quality tape possible. W/Hi-8
however, sometimes the evaporated metal particle does not work as well
as the slightly less costly metal tapes.
<BR>www reserach might prove different in 1998 or a GOOD and intelligent
video store would inform you.
<BR>2ndly, keep the camera and heads clean.

<P>Using the camera, w/a Miro DC-20 (or similar capture card of quality),
it is fed into the Mac clone (or whatever, PC) via <B>S-video</B> cable
into Adobe Premier, movie captured @ quarter screen size for best quality,
as short bursts of film clips. Then, go through those frame by frame snipping
PICT stills.
<BR>&nbsp;
<BR>In PS 4.0 you can use the <I>Replace Color </I>along w/the <I>Smudge
</I>and <I>Clone </I>tools to attempt a removal of lined artifacts caused
by one head gathering of tri-color imagery.

<P>Best bet would be a three-head digital video camera. Whew! Too much
money.

<P>W/the other tools in PS, you'll come up w/a reasonable semblance of
grained photographic quality … hey, not unlike a gum print or bromoil.

<P>My prints are all done on an <I>Alps</I>, using <I>Hammermill</I> ink-jet
paper which has a high rag content and is rather archival. W/that combo,
the prints are expected to last longer than standard color printing.

<P>One aspect which aids appearance, is to clone portions of the image
and expand that attribute to a larger area; … in other words, extend the
borders so they will not be sharp edged rather more of a soft appearance.

<P>I've since stepped up to an <I>Olympus D600L</I> w/1250x1080 (or close)
resolution. The prints @ 8x10 on a <I>Fuji Pictographic</I> machine are
virtually indistinguishable from a photograph.

<P>If one enjoys process rather than straight reproduction, one will certainly
enjoy this methodology.

<P>For further use, one's file can be output to film for a reasonable cost
and 11x14 prints can easily be made w/good quality. I often make 16x20's
… but that quality is quite fuzzy and it doesn't seem worthwile.

<P>Jack Fulton</HTML>

</x-html>From ???@??? Fri Jun 26 08:45:11 1998