Re: Nelson Gold Toner

Richard Knoppow (dickburk@ix.netcom.com)
Tue, 30 Jun 1998 15:24:23 -0700

At 04:25 PM 6/30/98 -0500, greene earl mcalan wrote:
>If I'm not mistaken, Photographer's Formulary also recommends that the
>Nelson Gold Toning Solution be utilized at around 100-110 degrees
>farenheit, for quick and effective toning (5-20 minutes).

The formula and instructions can be found in Kodak's Processing and
Formulas booklets published from 1940 onward. The above is correct. Note
that this is a _sepia_ toner, the Gold modifies the tone. If a Gold toner
for blue tones is wanted you must use one of the several Gold-Thiocyanate
toners which have been published.

>On Tue, 30 Jun 1998, Karl-Heinz Klang wrote:
>
>> Hi Sam
>>
>> I once bought this toner from Photographer's Formulary.
>>
>> This toner consists of Stock Solution A and B. To prepare part A
>>
>> you have to prepare solution 1 and 2 first than mix them together
>>
>> to get part A:
>>
>> <bold>Solution 1

>> </italic></bold>water 125°F 750ml 1500ml 3000ml
>>
>> sodium thiosulfate, anhydrous 152gr 305gr 611gr
>>
>> potassium persulfate 30gr 60gr 120gr
>>
>> water to make 1000ml 2000ml 4000ml
>>

>> <bold>Solution 2
>>
>> </bold>
>>
>> water 68°F 16ml 32ml 64ml
>>
>> silver nitrate 1.3gr 2.6gr 5.2gr
>>
>> sodium chloride 1.3gr 2.6gr 5.2gr
>>

>> <bold>Combining Solutions 1 and 2 to get Stock Solution A
>>
>> </bold>
>>
>> Both solutions must be at 68°F. Stir solution 2 vigorously to disperse
>> the solid
>>
>> throughout the solution, than pour all of Solution 2 into Solution 1. Mix
>> thoroughly.
>>

>> <bold>Stock Solution B
>>
>> </bold>
>>
>> water 68°F 62.5ml 125ml 250ml
>>
>> gold chloride 0.25gr 0.5gr 1.0gr
>>

>> <bold>Mixing the Working Solution
>>
>> </bold>
>>

>> To prepare the working solution one-half of Stock Solution B is added to
>> Stock
>>
>> Solution A, the rest of part B is used as a replenisher
>>

>> <bold>Replenishment
>>
>> </bold>
>>
>> About 4ml of Solution B should be added to the working solution after
>> fifty 8-by-10 prints
>>
>> have toned. Exact measurements cannot be given
>>

>> Best
>>
>> Karl-Heinz

----
Richard Knoppow