Re: Re: Monochrome reproduction Was: Re: Color, CMYK, etc.

DanPhoto@aol.com
Fri, 08 Jan 1999 16:26:20 -0500 (EST)

> Remember a duotone will have a
>rosette pattern too as the screen of the second plate has to be angled
>to prevent moiree just as in four color.

That's true, unless you've come across a stochastic duotone or tritone.
I've done several announcements this way and the results are delightful .
When you take a loupe to the image it looks like Tri-X!! Beautiful!

And of course, with stochastic printing (random dot) there's no rosette
and no fear of moire patterns. The down side is that you have to find a
print shop that isn't afraid of the unusual.

Some printers will use a stochastic separation to print a fifth color on
top of conventional line screened CMYK. Since four colors use of most of
the different screen angles (which you want to keep as far apart as
possible to minimize moires), the stochastic separation lays down with
its random dot and no moire concerns.

By the way, Isis Corporations (www.isisimaging.com) has Epson drivers and
ink sources that let you print a true quadtone on desktop. Cyan, magenta
and yellow are replaced with three different shades of gray! Pretty neat
stuff!

Dan