Re: printing color separations (was CMY/K)

Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Fri, 08 Jan 1999 13:42:58 +0000

Katharine Thayer wrote:

On that list yesterday I saw
> two mentions to the effect that if you send a CMYK file to the epson
> driver, it changes the file back to RGB and then to its own CMYK space.
> That would make me very nervous, if I were getting my separations that
> way.

The reason that it would make me nervous, of course, is that a CMYK file
converted back to RGB is not the same as the original RGB file. Every
time you convert to CMYK you lose information, which is why you never
want go back, but always start fresh with the original RGB file each
time you convert to CMYK.

It would be nice if you could send the RGB file to the printer and
specify Separations as a space, but unless someone knows something I
don't know, that's not an option. So I think your options are: you can
decide that CMYK as created in photoshop and converted by the inkjet
driver works for you, whatever problems might be associated with it, or
you can add a RIP that will allow you to specify your CMYK space as you
want it to look.
Katharine Thayer