Re: Printing color separations Re: printing color separations (was CMY/K) Re: printing color separations (was CMY/K) Re: printing color separations (was CMY/K)

Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Fri, 08 Jan 1999 18:37:15 +0000

Michael Keller wrote:

> I've stayed out of this til now cause I felt I didn't know anything about it,
> but I have to question the comment below. If you use Photoshop to create
> separations to print out on your inkjet, wouldn't Photoshop be generating four
> BLACK images, which the printer would see as black images, not CMYK or RGB?
> IOW, your printer doesn't know they're CMYK or RGB, it just sees four pages of
> black printing. Or is my head up my...er, nevermind.<g>

A person could split the channels in Photoshop and send each one to the
printer separately, in which case you're right, the printer will only
see black images. But that's not what we're talking about here, at least
that's not what I thought we were talking about. I thought we were
talking about changing the file to CMYK, choosing Print, and specifying
Separations as the print option, in which case the separations are
automatically created from a CMYK space, and the question we've been
going around and around and around about is, which CMYK color space? Is
it the Photoshop color space? Mitch says yes, the Photoshop manual says
no. Is it the Epson CMYK space? Judy says yes. Is it a combination of
the two? I think maybe. Since this has nothing to do with anything I'm
doing and was only a matter of intellectual curiosity for me in the
first place, I'm growing weary of the whole thing and will say for the
last time that if you really want to know the answer, go see the guys on
epson-inkjet.

Katharine Thayer