Re: Digital reply

Luis Nadeau (nadeaul@nbnet.nb.ca)
Sun, 10 Jan 1999 12:22:05 -0400

At 2:29 AM -0500 99/1/10, FotoDave@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 99-01-09 17:15:11 EST, nadeaul@nbnet.nb.ca writes:
>
>> I keep hoping that something close to these results can be obtained from
>> negs produced with low-end ink-jet printers. They work fine with relatively
>> short scale processes but I have not seen anything close to a full scale Pd
>> or Pt print on smooth paper.
>>

>I think it is difficult to obtain that result with ink-jet printers.
>Manufacturers keep improving resolution, but I dont think they are doing much
>to increase the black density of the ink because around 2.0 is already good
>enough for normal print, but such density is not enough for printing binary
>Pt/Pd print.

As mentioned in the repost that Judy just made, I did get some 200 small
prints from an Iris (which btw is only 300 dpi) on Palladio paper. Palladio
gives good results from "normal" (for silver printing) negs.. The quality
is excellent, i.e., just one notch below what I call "superb".

I have to make a small correction to my previous statement:

******* To get enough density on the acetate, all four colors had to be
> used but the resulting negative was not a perfect neutral grey. He
> found that by adding a certain tint he could make substantial contrast
> adjustments on his pre-coated Palladio paper.*******

> The results were excellent (though perhaps not absolutely superb) but
> considering the prints were made "en masse" they were beautiful and
> grainless even under a loupe.

I meant "screenless". You do see a random grain but no regular screen pattern.

Since the new 6-color inkjets can give full scale reflexion copies, I don't
see why paper negatives couldn't be used to provide excellent continuous
tone carbons or platinotypes.

I wish I were not so busy working on so many books. I'd like to give a shot
at carbon printing from "digital" paper negs.

Luis Nadeau
NADEAUL@NBNET.NB.CA
Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada