Re: Questins about Gum

Smieglitz@aol.com
Sun, 10 Jan 1999 14:51:02 -0500 (EST)

In a message dated 01/10/99 6:57:11 PM, sanking@hubcap.clemson.edu wrote:

<<
1. Which papers can be used without further sizing? Opinions on the quality
of these would be appeciated.

2. Has anyone ever heard of sizing papers for gum with rabbit glue? Or know
if such a product is available?>>

Sandy,

Strathmore Lanaquarelle 140# CP or HP gives *me* the best success (i.e., less
staining) without sizing, but the performance improves with additional size.
Coincidentally, I prefer this additional size to be rabbit skin aka hide glue.
I have used both Fredrick's canvas sizing and Daniel Smith rabbit skin glue
(which I prefer, ph. 1-800-426-6740) with success on this paper. I usually
harden the glue-sized paper with formaldehyde or glyoxal although good results
have been obtained without this hardening step. I prefer the rabbit skin glue
to various gelatins. I think it is less prone to staining/bubbles/etc., and
is harder than the gelatins regardless of subsequent treatments, at least on
the Strathmore paper.

Joe