Re: negatives by inkjet

FotoDave@aol.com
Mon, 11 Jan 1999 15:22:39 -0500 (EST)

In a message dated 1/10/99 9:29:27 AM Pacific Standard Time,
kthayer@pacifier.com writes:

> That's my whole
> point, that you *can* get CMY+K if you know what you're doing and create
> a CMYK space that's especially finetuned that way, but the photoshop
> settings aren't that sophisticated and substitute K for CMY densities
> rather than adding K to CMY densities. My whole point.

Well, in this particular case, they are using the CMYK just to increase the
overall density for use as b/w negative. This can be easily done by starting
with a grayscale image, duplicate channel 4 times, convert image to multi-
channel mode, then convert to CMYK. With this, one gets 4 identical CMYK
channels(!) instead of the CMY value gets decreased by Photoshop separation
engine. It won't look gray balanced on monitor or as the output of the inkjet
printer, but it doesn't matter, since the objective is only to increase the
density for the "b/w" negative.

Of course, each channel can now be adjusted/manipulated differently, and of
course, the problem of overlapping dots as I mentioned before will still be
there. If one wants to go this way, I would actually guess/suggest to use
black and yellow layers only since black and yellow might already produce the
density that one needs for Pt/Pd yet there will be less overlapping, but of
course the trade off is one might see coarse dot pattern (I guess this depends
on the resolution of one's printer).

> And here's Judy going nya nya nya, Luis says...

Katherine, I am taking the risk of upsetting you greatly, and if that is the
case, I apologize in advance. I think it is now so clear that there is a big
tension between you and Judy, so I won't say anything about that since I feel
that no matter what I say, even if trying to be a peacemaker, I will upset
both of you. However, to be fair, I still feel that I need to say that the
discussion about using CMYK from inkjet to produce negative for Pt/Pd or
carbon print has started long time ago (half or a year ago or more), so I
personally don't think Luis is directing his comment toward you or your
response or even relating to your original question about using CMY or CMYK
for *color* gum printing.

I don't know Luis in person, so I am not trying to defend him (I don't think
he needs my defense anyway), but somehow I just feel that I have to say what I
just said. As far as the CMYK and inkjet printing, Luis might or might not
agree with me. He might think I am a fool (or not). He might say it out that I
am a fool (or not), but that doesn't matter. This is just a discussion mailing
list. We might not agree on everything, butd we are simply discussing things.

Sincerely,
Dave