Re: negatives by inkjet

Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Mon, 11 Jan 1999 13:31:29 +0000

I had unplugged myself from this list yesterday so I wouldn't be tempted
to lose my temper again, but since I got a copy of this I'm coming back
in to respond to it.

FotoDave@aol.com wrote:
> personally don't think Luis is directing his comment toward you or your
> response or even relating to your original question about using CMY or CMYK
> for *color* gum printing.

I certainly didn't think that Luis's comment was directed to me or that
Luis had any thoughts about me at all or that anything he did or said
had anything to do with me or anything I had said. My response was to
Judy's use of the quote to refute something I had said.

 This is just a discussion mailing
> list. We might not agree on everything, but we are simply discussing things.

If only that were true! This is not a discussion list. Most people are
afraid to discuss at all, and the people who dare to express an opinion,
especially one that is at odds with Judy's opinions, have to be prepared
to be shouted down or be willing to wage a Holy War. "Simply discussing
things" is not what happens on this list.

I responded too quickly yesterday and made rather a fool of myself; I
apologize to the list for that. As I said above, I unplugged myself so I
wouldn't be tempted to do it again. If anyone is worried that the
Katharine and Judy Wars will succeed the Terry and Judy wars, it's not
going to happen, because I have no interest in spending my time and
energy that way and because I have more respect for the folks on the
list than to subject them to a repeat of those awful battles that we all
painfully witnessed. (Actually I wasn't on the list at the time, but
just skimming over them in the archives was painful.)

I hope the time will come when this list is a real discussion group
where equals share information with each other in a civil manner. I
don't see that that's what happens now. There's a very strange dynamic
here that makes people confrontive and combative; I'm not usually that
way but within a week here, I'm as bad as anyone. It just seems like the
way the dialogue proceeds brings that out in people somehow. Someone
told me that it's my responsibility to stay and change things, that as a
member of the alt-photo community this list is my community too and I
shouldn't give up on the list any more than you would give up on a
difficult person in your own family. That's a lovely sentiment, but I'm
not sure that I can contribute effectively to the list right, and until
that changes, I'll sign out, again.
Katharine Thayer