Re: negatives by inkjet

Luis Nadeau (nadeaul@nbnet.nb.ca)
Mon, 11 Jan 1999 18:32:11 -0400

At 3:22 PM 99/01/11, FotoDave@aol.com wrote:

>...I still feel that I need to say that the
>discussion about using CMYK from inkjet to produce negative for Pt/Pd or
>carbon print has started long time ago (half or a year ago or more), so I
>personally don't think Luis is directing his comment toward you or your
>response or even relating to your original question about using CMY or CMYK
>for *color* gum printing.

This topic was started a looong time ago indeed. Although I did write a
book on Gum and Other Direct Carbon Processes, I have had no interest in
them for years. I don't even have time, nor interest, to use the Fresson
process, which I still own. I don't read at least half of the traffic on
this list these days. Too many projects behind schedule.

This said, I sometimes read Judy's posts on subjects of little interest to
me, because of her sense of humor.

>I don't know Luis in person, so I am not trying to defend him

you wimp;-) I have defended many people I have never met. You should see
the letters to the editors I send to Canadian newspapers...

(I don't think
>he needs my defense anyway), but somehow I just feel that I have to say what I
>just said. As far as the CMYK and inkjet printing, Luis might or might not
>agree with me. He might think I am a fool (or not). He might say it out that I
>am a fool (or not)

I'm not thinking much of anything, except maybe that the discussion has
been too theoretical. I just look at a high quality, full scale monochrome
looking Epson print (made from 6 colors) and I tell myself that a paper
negative made the same way would be workable to make full scale carbons.
This I find exciting. At some point I'll have to roll up my sleeves and
find out for myself.

Luis Nadeau