Re: platinum on glass

Jeffrey D. Mathias (jeffrey.d.mathias@worldnet.att.net)
Mon, 11 Jan 1999 19:19:46 -0500

William Linne wrote:

> I am interested in making some platinum prints on glass. Does anyone
> have any ideas on how to get the emulsion to stick to the glass?

Why on glass? Do you wish to use the translucency, or what?

The conventional Pt/Pd material most likely wont stick to glass. A
paper you may wish to try is Bee Vellum - 450.

My notes on this paper are:
   Great quality with a lot of depth and substance.
   Excellent detail in print.
   Excellent luminosity from translucency, several thickness are
available.
   Translucent, color of print may be changed by colored under mat.
   Average to coat, but watch for curling.

The thinner versions of this paper are quite translucent and are akin to
looking through frosted glass. If you're trying to get a clear
substrate, Pt/Pd may not be the way to go.

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/