Re: Continuous Tone? (was Re: Pt/Pd vs Gum???)

Larry Gustafson (gustafsl@ix.netcom.com)
Tue, 12 Jan 1999 16:55:29 -0600

At 12:37 AM 1/12/99 -0500, FotoDave@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 1/11/99 8:31:42 PM Pacific Standard Time, silh@iag.net
>writes:
>
>> But don't ever even think that silver negs are true "continuous tone." They
>> always have been made of silver particles of a single color (some shade of
>> black) and clear gelatine ....
>
>I know, I know! We have gone through this once before. :-)
>

>Dave

I'm sending this to you off list. I have been following your discussion of
"continuous tone" and ink jet dot size. If you will go to
http://come.to/digitaldarkroom and negotiate through that web site to the
article entitled "More Info on Stylus Photo 750!17 December 1998" and then
click on the pointer labeled "review of printout" you will go to a
discussion, and a graphic display, of the new Epson dot technology. Among
the information there is the following:

Multi-Size Dot Technology>>>
      The Super Colorio uses what is
      termed as Multi-Size Dot
      Technology in the promotional
      brochures. What this means is that the
      printer will make use of 3 dot sizes, ie
      small (6picolitre), medium and large in
      an automatic manner by way of an
      "automatic arraying method" that is
      programmed into the print driver.

      The Multi-Size Dot Technology
      actually uses dots ranging from large
      (19pl), medium (10pl) and small (6pl).
      You can see from the diagram at right
      that the print driver would
      progressively use larger dots as the
      intensity of a given color increases.
      The promo literature also indicated
      that the Photo EX uses a 10pl dot
      size...not bad actually.

>From the graphic display provided on this web site, it appears that as the
density increases, the dot size increases, even to the point of overlapping
dots in the densist areas. This may be getting close to "continuous tone"
dots, if such a concept actually exists.

This web site is in Singapore. If you are not familiar with it, you should
check it out. It has some good information about Epson's latest technology
and includes some images from various Epson printers.

(The Super Colorio printer referred to in the article is the Japanese name
for the new Epson 3000 printer.)
Laurence K. Gustafson
gustafsl@ix.netcom.com