Continuous Tone Definition

Wayde Allen (wallen@boulder.nist.gov)
Tue, 12 Jan 1999 15:56:55 -0700 (MST)

I have the feeling that someone out there has an ax to grind, and
is trolling for an argument. Nevertheless ...

>From my Websters New World Dictionary of the English Language - Complete
Reference Edition, Second College Ed., World Publishing, 1972. I get the
following definitions:

   continuous - 1. going on or extending without interruption or break;
                    unbroken; connected

                2. (math) designating a function of points whose value at
                   each point is approached by its values at neighboring
                   points

   tone - 6a. a quality or value of color; tint; shade

In this case the mathematical definition of continuous is the most
descriptive providing the least ambiguous description of what it would
mean to have a discontinous tone. I'm not sure that any of this really
helps everyone much, or changes the concepts recently discussed.

Remember, scientists rely on exceedingly narrow definitions for words in
order to attempt to convey very specific concepts, whereas poets and
artists rely on very broad definitions to express feeling.

- Wayde
  (wallen@boulder.nist.gov)