Re: Stability of dichromate solutions (and its use in gum)

FotoDave@aol.com
Thu, 14 Jan 1999 23:33:38 -0500 (EST)

In a message dated 1/14/99 9:35:02 AM Pacific Standard Time,
wallen@boulder.nist.gov writes:

> Is this
> kind of a muddy film? I've seen this happen in my dichromate solutions,
> and mine aren't mixed to saturation. It sounds like there was something
> in the water that is reacting with the dichromate.

Kind of hard to describe. It is brown and yes, I guess it's muddy, and it
sticks to the bottom of the bottle, that is, even when you shake the bottle,
it remains there.

> I'm assuming that your solution is used as a stock for
> mixing gum emulsions, and that it never comes into contact with organic
> matter?

That's right.

> It was mixed up
> shortly after the first issue of the Post Factory Journal arrived, and I
> don't think that there is any precipitate in this bottle - yet anyway.
> I'll have to check.

Hmmm.... does the fact that I store it in a plastic bottle instead of glass
bottle matter? It is stored in a plastic bottle that was for photo chemical.

Dave