Re: Platinum with color negs

Carl Weese (cjweese@wtco.net)
Fri, 15 Jan 1999 08:05:42 -0500

kl wrote:

> I have a bunch of outdated ektachrome 8x10 film that I have been
> cross-processing to get a negative. My question is: How would these negs
> print on platinum or ziatypes? I will be ordering a ziatype kit in the
> near future and would love to print some of these images.
>
> regards,
>
> WIlliam Linne

You'll be exploring new ground, William. Zia can handle negatives from
about normal-silver range up to very high contrast. Use the ammonium
dichromate additive to increase print contrast. Your cross-processed
negs will probably be quite high in contrast compared to normal b&w
negs, but their color will also have strong and completely unknown
effects. Zia, like other Pt/Pd, shows a very strong reaction to the
color of pyro-stained negatives which leads me to think that the
contrast within your image will change greatly depending on color of the
negative. It may work fine, or you may find that parts of the image that
are green/yellow print at low speed and high contrast while areas at the
opposite end of the color wheel print faster and softer. You may get
fantastic results, or the experiment may crash and burn completely.
Please keep us posted!

---Carl