Re: A Project ( about Kodak HIE; Lawless, Lith film, Cyano & Gum)

Cor Breukel (cor@ruly46.medfac.leidenuniv.nl)
Fri, 15 Jan 1999 13:20:30 +0100 (MET)

On Fri, 15 Jan 1999, Judy Seigel wrote:

> > chemistry and a short exposure in order to only print the fence and the
> > gate. This was easy. Next came the gum coat. I settled for Burnt Sienna,
> > and after a few stepwedge experiments I used 1 ml gum + 1,2 g. Burnt
> > Sienna + 2.0 ml saturated Potassium Dichromate.

..oops, a typo; I used 1,5 ml gum not 1 ml..

> That sounds like an extraordinary amount of paint for that amount of
> emulsion. What brand was it? Didn't it flake?

..it's Winsor & Newton Cotman, but I've to admit that I found these
figures by step wedge testing on Simili Japon, not on the Canson Fontenay
I used. I simply forgot to test the quantity of Burnt Sienna for this
paper, I tested the exposure times and the clearing times with a step
wedge.. No flaking though..

> wet interior accentuates buckle. If the paper is buckled when it's dry, do
> what someone just said (I think, maybe I dreamed it?). Between sheets of
> heavy glass with a gallon of water on it for 20 minutes or so before
> registering.

..but the time between coating and exposing is also a variable, isn't
it?..

Cor Breukel

http://ruly70.medfac.leidenuniv.nl/~cor/cor.html
"The Infrared Gallery"