Re: replyto feature

Wayde Allen (wallen@boulder.nist.gov)
Fri, 15 Jan 1999 09:01:32 -0700 (MST)

On Fri, 15 Jan 1999 FotoDave@aol.com wrote:

> I have noticed it, and I appreciate the effort, but it looks like each mail
> program handles things differently. Now for us AOL users, hitting "reply" will
> reply to ***the list***, and hitting "reply all" will reply to ***the list***
> twice. To reply to the original sender, one must copy and paste. :(

Yep that is part of the price you pay for this "convenience".

The "reply-to" header also makes the list vulnerable to infinite mail
loops. If you use anything like the vacation program to notify people when
you are out of town please configure it carefully. If incorrectly setup,
your computer can reply to a message from the list, and then to its own
replies. Gordon will need to keep a close eye on the list to stop this
when it happens.

> This is probably an area where Wayde described as hard to please everybody, so
> I am definitely NOT complaining but just describing how the feature works with
> AOL. :)

This is part of what I was saying. While I usually set the "reply-to"
address on most of the lists I run, there are some good arguments against
using it too. For those of you who might be curious about this, check out
http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html.

- Wayde
  (wallen@boulder.nist.gov)