Re: Photogravure 1, 2, 3...

Adam Kimball (akimball@finebrand.com)
Sat, 16 Jan 1999 15:29:21 -0800

How difficult is photogravure you ask? Ahhhh.. I wondered that a few years ago - then I began buying books on the process.. then I put them away for a year or three - too intimidated to begin. And
finally, I took the plunge into it.

First, though - photogravure is a pleasure unlike many others. My friend and I refer to photogravure as 'hard drugs' - it is apt in my mind. It is addicting, given to flights of pure pleasure, and has
a come down that makes you wonder why you ever bothered in the first place. Try and see more gravures - I don't know where you live, but Jon Goodman's work seems to be everywhere lately, and many good
museums and some good University libraries will have my favorite - the Paul Strand Mexican Portfolio of 1940. It is the one work that keeps me working in the process - unrivaled.

As for the process itself, I can describe it easily - it is unforgiving, long, and not given to quantitative analysis! I thought it would be difficult, but it has proven more difficult than I had
imagined. After all, this *is* printmaking. To compare it with platinum isn't fair- I'd argue (and I print platinum) that gravure is an order of magnitude more difficult to do well. People will
disagree with this, I'm sure - but the thing about gravure is that there are so many variables that it is impossible to ever get ahold of them.

Anyway, I don't want to steer you away, but photogravure requires extreme dedication and huge amounts of materials. If you don't have a good printmaking studio around to work in, I'd hold off. An
etching press which provides enough pressure is a rare one. The chemistry (Ferric Chloride) is very bad for surrounding equipment and yourself- I think an etching room is a must. Not to mention the
cost of the materials - tissue, copper, acid-free ferric chloride - those alone will eat up $600 or more depending on the amounts and sizes.

So, my advice get some books and read them. You'll know whether the process is something you want to do. Look at enough good gravures, and you may be inspired to take the plunge.

Some books:

Photogravure : A Process Handbook by Gary P. Kolb - not perfect by any means, but comprehensive and a great place to begin reading.

A Treatise on Photogravure : Herbert Denison - my personal favorite and a must read.

Nonsilver Printing Processes : Four Selections, 1886-1927. by Peter C., Comp. Bunnell - not highly recommended but available in University libraries often.

Photographic Printmaking Techniques by Deli Sacilotto. I've never read this but have heard good things. Deli is one of the most respected gravurists around right now.

Any more questions - ask away!

-Adam