Re: Film Stabiliser

Sil Horwitz (silh@iag.net)
Mon, 18 Jan 1999 16:20:23 -0500

At 07:42 PM 1999/01/18 +0000, you wrote:
>Making up some stabiliser for colour film today I happened to read the
>(German) small print and find that it contains 1.5% of
>1,2-Benzisothiazolin-3-on presumably in place of methanal.
>
>It does say it is irritating to eyes and skin, but it may well be a safer
>alternative to methanal (and even to glyoxal) for alt-process use though I
>don't know it is an effective hardener of gelatin. Perhaps someone else
>here would know more on this?

If you have the name right, this compound is not irritating! If it were,
millions of users would be in real trouble. 1,2-benzisothiazol-3 is
"saccharin," the artificial sweetener. I have no idea why it would be used
in a stabilizer. Perhaps you might contact the manufacturer, find out, and
let us all know! There is a possibility the name given is only part of a
more complex compound, but that is unknown to me. (Not that I could
possibly know everything about all chemicals!)

<<sil>>
<silh@iag.net>
<webmaster@psa-photo.org>
Sil Horwitz, FPSA