Re: Micro pipettes and K. chlorate %solutions

Adam Kimball (akimball@finebrand.com)
Mon, 18 Jan 1999 13:22:14 -0800

Judy and all,

I think the issue with Newman's method though is that you end up with extra
water in the solution. It seems that most printers (well, many) are trying to
use very saturated solutions of both platinum and ferric oxalate - I know that
is what I strive for.

Every time you add extra water into the emulsion you are effectively lowering
the amount of metal per sqare inch that actually stays on the paper. Using
more sensitizer doesn't work - because the paper only takes so much
(especially rod coated papers). So, if you can absolutely limit the amount of
water by using very saturated metals and iron you theoretically achieve a
coating with a richer emulsion, and ideally you get better blacks because of
it.

Though, one drop isn't going to make a black into a middle grey.

And droppers have there own problems when used to measure minute amount of
chemistry. If drop size can vary 10% per drop (I don't think that is too
unreasonable to assume) and you are using 1 drop- you can have way too much
variability.

I gather the reason that the Chlorate is added to the f.o. directly is for
this reason - no extra water in the mix. Now, if you are doing multiple
coats, the water may actually help, I've heard - though I don't use any.

This is splitting hairs to be certain but Joel's method sounds great to me
because of its ability to add chlorate w/o much water along the way. And not
keeping two f.o around, etc..

I avoid the Chlorate issue by using dichromate in the developer, which has its
own problems of course..

-Adam