Re: Film Stabiliser

FotoDave@aol.com
Mon, 18 Jan 1999 16:40:15 -0500 (EST)

>Making up some stabiliser for colour film today I happened to read the
>(German) small print and find that it contains 1.5% of
>1,2-Benzisothiazolin-3-on presumably in place of methanal.

Peter,

Were you talking about the stabilizer for C-41 negative film? You mentioned
German name. What brand do you use?

My stablizer & replenisher from KODAK simply lists the following chemicals:

Part A:
formaldehyde (50-00-0)
methanol (67-56-1)
water (7732-18-5)

Part B:
Organo Silicone

I have always thought that if I needed formaldehyde but couldn't buy it
easily, I could use the C-41 stablizer, part A since I assume the methanol is
simply for increasing the drying time? Getting formaldehyde this way might be
more expensive, but we don't use it that much for sizing paper. But I never
tried it since in general people seem to suggest not to use formaldehyde, and
my alum size still works for me so far.

Also, does anyone know what the numbers behind the chemical could possibly
mean? I am not sure if they are simply their internal part number or if they
something chemically.

Dave