Re: Micro pipettes and K. chlorate %solutions

Tom Ferguson (tomf2468@pipeline.com)
Mon, 18 Jan 1999 14:00:52 -0800

joel lederer <lederer@netvision.net.il> wrote:
>I have an idea and could use some advice.
>I have been using the traditional dropper method in making pt/pl prints
>and have found some limitations to this system. When making smallish
>(4x5) prints I don't have very much control over the contrast because
>the number of drops (of A and B) is so small. (6 drops of iron+ 6 drops
>of metal)
>My idea is to eliminate sol. B (ferric oxalate+K. chlorate) and replace
>it with a concentrated solution of K. chlorate and add this to the
>sensitizer with a micro pipette (I have seen ones which measure out in
>1/100ths of a cc).<SNIP>

My answer will only apply if you typically make more than one print at a time:

I did switch from "droppers" to pipettes. I was sure this would make my
prints much more "repeatable". I am disappointed. One: the pipette method
takes a lot more time than the dropper method. Two: It isn't that much
more reliable or repeatable. Three: I'm going back to my old method of
droppers. Just buy a good complete SET of them, so they are all the same!

As to making a 4x5 print, I always mix my 8x10 or 11x14 volume of
chemicals, then divide that (by dropper or pipette) into the correct volume
for a number of 4x5 prints. That allows me more than enough chemistry
(enough volume) that I can make any needed ratio. I rarely go to the
trouble of printing one copy of something.

The only time I find this wasteful is when first printing a new neg
(finding the recipe). That is a fair trade for the time wasted both
measuring and rinsing those #%&^@@* pipettes!

Hope this helps

Tom

tomf2468@pipeline.com