Size for handmade paper

Galina Manikova (galina@online.no)
Tue, 19 Jan 1999 19:39:29 +0100

There was a place in Denmark, where they made ready-coated photographic
handmade paper. There was so little demand, that that production has been
discontinued, but they have explored the field and might be able to share
their secrets.

There is a book by Anne Vilsbøll (in Danish) "Papir mageri 2", ISBN
87-418-5726-7, where one might find a lot of useful information and
addresses. One does not have to understand Danish for that.

Hope, that helps.

Regards,

Galina.

>On Fri, 15 Jan 1999, Tom Ferguson wrote:
>
>> I have an interest in hand made paper making. I've never managed to
>> integrate it with my photography, but it is wonderfully fun and peaceful
>> pursuit in it's own right. I'm far from an expert. But, all the paper
>> making literature I've read indicates that Alum is not a good size if
>> archival properties are important to you. Over time (how long I don't
>> know) it is said to cause hardening and yellowing.
>
>We had a discussion about this about three years ago on the list, and you
>should be able to locate it in the archives. Luis Nadeau also talks about
>using Alum and other hardeners in his book on Carbon printing. The thing
>that sticks in my mind from these discussions is that the use of Alum
>probably doesn't much affect the archival properties of the paper if it
>has been sufficiently washed. If I remember correctly, Luis notes in his
>book that many very old carbon prints were hardened in Alum with
>apparently not ill affect. (Please correct me if I'm remembering this
>incorrectly.)
>
>I'm curious, does anyone know the long term effects of glyoxal on paper?
>
>- Wayde
> (wallen@boulder.nist.gov)

Galina Manikova,
"The alternative alternative", Oslo.