Re: Proofing for Alt. Process

Jeffrey D. Mathias (jeffrey.d.mathias@worldnet.att.net)
Wed, 20 Jan 1999 12:22:01 -0500

Carl Weese wrote:
> So, what do YOU do to proof your negatives intended for alternate
> process final prints?

SORRY (believe it or don't), I proof in Pt/Pd. It just works best. I
will sometimes proof a print to be made on fabric on paper.

When I build an enlarged positive/negative useing Kodak 4127 Commercial
film I will generally make a proof on RC paper, mainly to check dodging
or burning options and somewhat general exposure. The only reson for
this is that the 4127 film is hard to come by. But even so, I will
still test run a small test square on a representitive part of the
image. Sometimes I go all out and make proof Pt/Pd prints to check the
effect of various masks or various positive or negative pieces. This
does get to be time consuming; but since we have no control over time,
why worry about it.

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/