Some ideas for testing paper negatives.

Adam Kimball (akimball@finebrand.com)
Thu, 21 Jan 1999 00:21:12 -0800

I've been thinking about how I'm going to come up with a working curve for gum
printing. This is my current idea- actually my interpretation of an article by
Charles Palmer (on the Bostick and Sullivan page) which I don't totally
understand, so humor me ;)

First, make a 100 step wedge in photoshop using opacity. Print this out and wax
it. Next, print this wedge alongside a Stouffer tablet on a particular
emulsion. Say I get five steps of good tone on the Stouffer tablet - I make
reflection readings of these steps, and find the five corresponding blocks on
the digital UberWedge{tm} which produced the same tones. Now, I know how
photoshop opacity correlates to continuous tone opacity. So, shouldn't I be
able to use this data to plot a curve for photoshop? I.E. if stouffer 20%
opacity prints X, and photoshop 10% opacity prints X, I can go into the transfer
table and set the 20% value to 10. Correct or complete stupidity?

Obviously, I am a complete beginner to digital negatives, but I'm not a complete
beginner in photoshop and have some, be it small, knowledge of sensitometry.

Any advice or comments would be appreciated,
Adam