Re: Dry Pigment for Gum

FotoDave@aol.com
Thu, 21 Jan 1999 14:29:27 -0500 (EST)

In a message dated 1/20/99 8:01:55 PM Pacific Standard Time, garet@rmi.net
writes:

> I finally gave up on the dry pigments
> and pre-mixed tube watercolors with gum. I had good luck with this
> for several months, but haven't touched it for almost 4 months now.

Hi Garet,

When you mixed the dry pigments, did you mix just the pigment and gum arabic?
It is interesting to know that the mixture with tube watercolor works
reasonably well while pigment alone doesn't work. Maybe the other ingredients
in tube watercolors is helping. I am thinking that if I don't mix just the
pigment but also other ingredients in watercolor such as sugar or honey and
glycerine, maybe it will work.

I think it's worth a try. Original I thought I would only think about this if
I am making a lot of gum prints, but checking the prices, I realized that even
if I am only doing a little gum, the price difference is A LOT. For example,
for some pigment, 2 smallest tubes of W&N watercolor can buy me a small jar of
the same pigment!

I will let the list know the result if I get into trying it out.

> Unfortunately it is currently packed in boxes so I can't give you more
> complete info.

When you unpack it, could you let us know? Please? :) It need not even be
a test with gum print, just the conditinon of the mixture would be helpful.
Thanks in advance!

Dave