Re: Dry Pigment for Gum

Galina Manikova (galina@online.no)
Thu, 21 Jan 1999 21:37:16 +0100

My experience with dry pigments for gum goes for ceramic pigments, which
would be actually worse, then any other kind as the particles are very big
in size. One has to ground the pigment together with some kind of "medium"
either by hand or in a special ceramic/stone mill before you mix it into the
emulsion. The medium would be dependent on your further process and the base
you are applying the emulsion on. For regular gum process I would use some
kind of acrylic medium. For certain pigments it helps to add a little sugar
syrup, which would also help to spread the emulsion more evenly before it
dries on your paper/brush.

Regards,

Galina.

>I tried dry pigment for my initial work in gum. As you indicated, I
>tried to pre-mix about 100cc of gum for future use. I found the dry
>pigment difficult to mix initially, but worst of all it settled to the
>bottom of the container. At first this could be re-mixed by shaking,
>but later it was rather hard. I tried to mix it with the end of a
>paint brush, but it had the consistency of butter in the freezer ( I
>could just barely scratch it). I finally gave up on the dry pigments
>and pre-mixed tube watercolours with gum. I had good luck with this
>for several months, but haven't touched it for almost 4 months now.
>Unfortunately it is currently packed in boxes so I can't give you more
>complete info.
>
>Garet Denise
>garet@rmi.net

Galina Manikova,