Re: proofing negs

Carl Weese (cjweese@wtco.net)
Thu, 21 Jan 1999 15:46:57 -0500

Dan,

Yes, I find that pyro-developed negatives with plenty of contrast for
platinum printing can also be printed successfully on some VC papers,
usually without any filtration in the enlarger. I say some, because in
certain cases the VC paper "freaks out" and prints the negative in
unexpected tones, sometimes even reversing in a way that resembles
solarization. Agfa Multicontrast Classic fiber-base paper seems to give
consistently good results and is a nice general purpose silver paper in
any case. These "proofs" can be perfectly successful prints. (Not
*everything* looks its best in platinum.)

---Carl