Re: Scanner selection

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Thu, 21 Jan 1999 22:49:14 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 21 Jan 1999, Larry Roohr wrote:

> I own both a Polaroid sprintscan plus film scanner and a Linotype Saphire
> plus flatbed. The Linotype (Umax clone) does every bit as well density wise
> as the polaroid, IMO. The only difference is the resolution. If the purpose
> is 4x5 or larger the 1000 dpi you get with these flatbeds may be more than
> enough, at much less cost than large format film scanners. The linotype
> saphire, Umax powerlook 2000, agfa duoscan, and the Microtek model (Microtek
> makes the duoscan for Agfa) all use the same scan array and I've heard are
> pretty equal in performance. Last I looked they were running around $2k if
                                                                     ^^^^^
That's $2000? For flatbed and transparency adapter?

I'm trying to buy a 35 mm slide/negative scanner, for the Mac. (Please, no
wisecracks from envious people.) I'm told about an Olympus something or
other for $369, but haven't yet seen it. (I gather I have to go to the
dread Web...) But while the topic is on, does anyone know it? Or other in
that price range? And why the Polaroid is nearly twice the price? (I have
a flatbed, but gather that's ng for 35 mm to large size, even with
adapter.)

However, one thing I learned about flatbeds: The *nominal* scan size and
actual scan size may not be the same. My Microtek is nominally 8-1/2 by 13
inches. The largest image I can cover is barely more than 8 by 12-1/2
inches (20-1/2 by 32 centimeters).

cheers,

Judy