Re: step tablet

Carl Weese (cjweese@wtco.net)
Fri, 22 Jan 1999 08:26:49 -0500

Dave and Rodrigo,

Calibration of pyro negatives for platinum printing is really not
difficult at all and does not require fancy instrumentation. When I
began to use pyro I simply went out and made test exposures of typical
subjects and then developed them, and made (Pt) prints. Where needed, I
adjusted exposure and development in a second round of test shots based
on the prints. Later I tried the same negs on VC papers and found for
the most part they worked well too.

"Expose for the shadows, develop for the highlights" works just as well
with pyro as with standard developers. Pyro negatives can look weird to
someone who is used to all-silver negatives, but it's easy enough to
adjust to. The basic notion of controlling the density of the dark
subject areas through exposure and then controlling the density of the
bright subject areas through development applies to pyro just as much as
to D-76. And once a nice exposure/development combination has been found
with pyro, I find it almost never is necessary to vary the development
to compensate for different subject contrast ranges. ---Carl