Re: Gum questions - Details

Hamish Stewart (Hamish.Sophie@wanadoo.fr)
Fri, 22 Jan 1999 18:22:33 +0000

Yes always. The saunders is a rather porous paper and stains easily, so
must be sized. I use 2 coats of a 3% gelatin size with formalin added to
the 2nd bath.

>> I would normally do between 6-8 exposures of my gum prints. Some say this
>> is excessive - but I like the results - if you like visit my pages at
>> http://perso.wanadoo.fr/hamish/terre.html to see some examples.
>
>The result is beautiful. I am interested and curious about whether you do 6-8
>coats for the reason of control, for thickness, for different color coats as
>in your images, or for any specific / main reason?

A little of all of these. I use a range of colours in my prints and like
the contrast and detail that builds up over more than 4 coats. Usually
6-8 coats is fine, but I have been known to go up to 12 coats. Depends on
the image and how I am feeling about the progression of the image.. Some
people think I go to far, but the trick is to do a few coats well
exposed, and then more coats less exposed..

>Suppose you want to do a monochrome gum with black only, would you also do
>6-8
>coats?

I really don't have an answer to this as firstly I don't use black
pigment, and secondly I haven't done mono gum prints...

Cheers
Hamish

-

Hamish Stewart