Re: Re. iris prints

Bob_Maxey@mtn.3com.com
Fri, 22 Jan 1999 12:28:50 -0700

>>> Holding a photographic print up to the light usually reveals a wealth
> of shadow detail that is not apparent by reflected light. I have a
> theory that this may be perceived at a subliminal level and that this
> is part of what's lacking in printed reproductions.

That is not always the case. Experience has taught me that to get
everything from the negative, one needs to work a little bit harder and has
to understand their process and materials. I still dodge and burn the old
fashioned way, I mask if required or if printing from a slide, and I still
use pencil on my paper negatives.

I know quite a few printers - most are good printers, but only 2 or 3 are
truly fine printers. Most have spend decades in the dark.

RM